Today marks three weeks on enteral nutrition. Our son has gained 3 pounds in 3 weeks and continues to have a lot of energy. The most I have seen from him in a long time which is wonderful to see. He has been consuming about 56 ounces of EleCare per day and sometimes more. The nutritionist recommended at least 50 ounces so we are on target with the correct amount.
For the past few days his stools have been pretty much blood free! He has been a happy kid and has not complained at all about his tummy hurting while being on the EleCare. We know it has been making him feel good and he looks good too. His face is fuller and the rings are gone from under his eyes. We will take him in for a blood draw in about a week and a half to check his numbers and see where his inflammation markers are at after four weeks on TED.
For the past few days his stools have been pretty much blood free! He has been a happy kid and has not complained at all about his tummy hurting while being on the EleCare. We know it has been making him feel good and he looks good too. His face is fuller and the rings are gone from under his eyes. We will take him in for a blood draw in about a week and a half to check his numbers and see where his inflammation markers are at after four weeks on TED.

Yay! I am watching you guys. My daughter is currently again in a terrible flare and I'm distraught but happy to hear that elemental is helping. I hope it brings you a long remission. I've ordered Absorb Plus to keep the weight on (her diagnosis is UC so I don't think we'll get remission). Do you have any idea why it didn't work as well as elecare for you? I want to try it because it seems healthier?
Sherry
Looking back on it, we may have been doing something wrong with the Absorb Plus. The directions state that you need to add some sort of oil (flax seed, etc.) to the mixture. It is not *complete* nutrition in and of itself. We never did add in the oil and this may have had an impact on what we observed. EleCare shakes seem to leave an oily texture on the cups afterwards.
As it was, the Absorb Plus went literally straight through Cyrus. Amazingly fast. We also had other troubles with the mixed berry and vanilla flavors -- when shaken, they would just foam and bubble up. Whereas, chocolate mixed nicely and tasted good.
Interesting. I tried AP for my daughter yesterday and her frequency/watery stools increased significantly. If I try it again I'll have to add the oils I guess. I thought they'd be to much for her system right now. I didn't realize it wasn't complete as it is. We've stopped it for the time being but have tons of the stuff?
Glad to hear things are getting better.
Sherry
THanks for posting this. I have ulcerative colitis, but have never heard of EleCare. I hope things are continuing to improve for your son. Best of luck, and I want to contact some others who have IBD to get some other opinions on this treatment. It almost sounds too good to be true. thanks again,
Adam
Hey Sherry and Adam,
If you are still tuned in -- thanks for posting.
Sherry -- we still have the Absorb Plus sitting in our cabinet and have learned that if an EN product does not say 'complete nutrition', then either don't use it or figure out what it needs to be 'complete'. Maybe try Pediasure or EleCare (look at Ebay) if things aren't going well.
Adam -- I've heard (Oppenheimer?) that EN (EleCare) is less effective amongst people with UC. With that said, I would try it anyway vs. traditional meds. Feel free to contact us for advice on EN or SCD.
Things are definitely progressing well with our son - I appreciate your thoughts!